Here are my top tips for maintaining weight-loss goals and feel healthy and good about yourself while traveling/out of town:
1. Lean into cravings. I can’t stress this one enough! If you want a chocolate croissant, get the croissant. Enjoy the croissant! Just realize that you will have to pick and choose the treats you want. You can’t have everything, but you can make a couple of things you are craving fit into each day.
2. Make sure two of your meals include some high-quality protein. Not only does adequate protein help prevent muscle loss, but it also helps greatly in satiety and maintaining hunger levels, which in turns decreases cravings for sugary and salty foods.
3. Give up the “all or nothing” mindset. So many of our minds think this way sometimes when it is one of the most illogical thoughts in the world! Have some pasta but eat a salad too. Balance. Balance.
4. Bring healthy and macro friendly snacks to munch on. This one helps a lot! It’s not always easy to find “macro friendly” snacks when traveling, and honestly I prefer these to balance out my treats any way! I make protein muffins or bites, for example, to take along with protein bars, rice cakes and PB, etc.
5. Drink in moderation. If you like to drink, just be mindful of the calories in alcohol that adds up. I am by no means saying to limit yourself, but this is another thing you can make a choice between. You can probably have more drinks if you don’t have a lot of treats and still maintain your weight. Again, it’s all about choice.
6. Share/split meals with others. The portions at some places can be ginormous! Splitting a meal can keep you from feeling over full, save money, and have more room to split something else later 😊
7. Stop eating when you’re full. Just because you’re traveling doesn’t mean that you have to go crazy!! Always tune into your hunger cues (If you want more information on this, let’s chat about how this can help!
8. Take probiotics daily. This doesn’t necessarily help prevent weight gain but it does help keep you regular, not bloated, and a feeling a hell of a lot better. Especially when eating a lot of foods you aren’t used to.
9. Drink a shit ton of water. More than you are used to drinking. More than you think is necessary! Again, this helps with digestion, and helps keep you hydrated with all the on-the-go activities. Dehydration can also lead to more sugary/salty food cravings.
10. Get your steps in! Especially if you don’t have access to a gym or gym equipment, this is a great way to stay active. You can clear your mind, take back some ‘me’ time and burn a few extra calories. It’s a win-win 😊